Tommy G. Thompson Leadership Scholarship
To be eligible for this award, a student must:
• Be enrolled as a full-time student at UWL
• Be in good academic standing at the time of application;
• Be a degree-seeking student at the time of application and at the time they receive the award;
• Has not received the Tommy G. Thompson Scholarship in the prior year. (The scholarships are one-time, non-renewable, and non-transferable);
• Submit their cumulative undergraduate GPA from the undergraduate campus from which they are applying (This means that students without a cumulative GPA [e.g., freshmen] are ineligible); and
• Agrees to attend one Thompson Center event during the year of scholarship.
Additionally, to be eligible for this award, a student must:
• Submit a personal statement/biographical sketch that is no more than 450 words. (The personal statement/biographical sketch may be posted on the Thompson Center website and used in press releases if the candidate is selected for a scholarship.) The biographical sketch must include:
o The candidate’s definition or understanding of leadership;
o A discussion of how the candidate demonstrated leadership during their time on campus;
o The candidate’s aspirations; and
o An explanation of the ways in which the candidate’s leadership reflects Governor Thompson’s spirit and legacy of bringing people together to develop common-sense solutions.
The candidate may wish to include within this statement a brief description of any relevant volunteering, internships, or employment they have undertaken that reflect a spirit of leadership.
• Provide a copy of an up-to-date academic transcript, which thereby grants permission to the review panel(s) to consider it as part of the scholarship application. The student may include a brief appendix that summarizes any classes that relate to leadership or the personal statement/biographical sketch.