Lou McGlothian Memorial Scholarship
The Lou McGlothian Memorial Scholarship (LMMS) has been made possible by The Business Council,
Inc. and its member corporations. This scholarship is awarded each year to at least one (1) college
junior, senior OR graduate student provided they meet the scholarship criteria. This scholarship was
created in 2009 in honor of LouVenice (Lou) McGlothian for her 14 years of service with The Business
Council (TBC). Lou served as TBC’s administrative professional and assisted with the efforts and
objectives of TBC. Lou also opened her home to numerous foster children during her lifetime. The
student(s) selected for the 2014-15 LMMS will receive $2,500 a year ($1,250 each semester).
The recipient will be chosen by members of the Scholarship Committee. The decision of the
Scholarship Committee will be final.
Students must meet the following criteria:
1. Student must be a U.S. citizen (or an eligible noncitizen, as defined in the Free Application for
Federal Student Aid (FAFSA);
2. Student attends a 4-year college, or will transfer to a four-year college after successfully
completing an associate’s degree by Spring 2015 (proof of admission to a four-year
college/university must be submitted with the application);
3. Student is a college junior, senior or a graduate student, as defined by the number of cumulative
credits, as of the Fall 2014 semester;
4. Student is of African-American, Asian-American, Hispanic or Native-American ancestry;
5. Student has declared a major. Student must attach proof of their declared major (i.e., a form
filled out by the student and/or an advisor declaring a major);
6. Student must have a 3.00 or higher grade point average and must maintain a 3.00 or higher grade
point average while receiving the scholarship;
7. Student must submit a recent copy of his/her official college transcript;
8. Student must complete a 2014-15 Lou McGlothian Memorial Scholarship application;
9. Student has applied for federal financial aid and can attach a copy of his/her 2013-2014 Student
Aid Report (SAR) to the scholarship application. If it is not submitted at the time of the
application, it must be forwarded before the interviewing process begins on December 3, 2014;
10. Student must attach a copy of his/her Financial Aid Offer/Award Letter from the college they
attend. If it is not submitted at the time of the application, it must be forwarded before the
interviewing process begins on December 3, 2014.
11. Student must submit a self-written, typed essay, not exceeding 2 pages, answering the following:
1) Why he/she feels deserving of this scholarship?
2) Once you finish your education, how do you plan to impact your community?
The student must attach this to the scholarship application;
12. Student has two written recommendations from 1) a professor in their declared major field; and
2) an academic advisor or another professor;
13. If selected for a panel interview, the student must be available on Wednesday, December 3,
2014, for this purpose.
15. If selected as the winner of the Lou McGlothian Memorial Scholarship, the student (or a
designee) must attend the Annual Strategic Partnership Luncheon on Thursday, February 19,
Completed applications should be mailed to The Business Council’s Scholarship Manager, Cassandra
Flagg at 756 N. Milwaukee Street, Suite 400, Milwaukee, WI 53202, postmarked on or before Friday,
October 31, 2014. Students are asked to paperclip each piece of information together in the order
ranked above (#7-12 and the application should appear on top.)
Students whose applications have been received and reviewed will be notified by Thursday, January
22, 2015 of their application status.
The Business Council’s was established in 1998 and its mission is to create and maximize access for
economic opportunities and resources for our members, which will support the financial stability of
ethnically diverse-owned businesses and stimulate their expansion.
If you have questions regarding the Lou McGlothian Memorial Scholarship, or the scholarship process,
contact Cassandra Flagg at The Business Council, Inc. at email@example.com via telephone at
Application is available in Financial Aid Office 215 Graff Main Hall